Friday, 12 June 2015

Top 10 Irish Landmarks (6 to 10)



                                        photo credit: Slea Head Drive via photopin (license)

Tripadvisor recently published its Travellers Choice 2015 Top 10 Irish Landmarks. I looked through the list and although all of them are wonderful places I did disagree. So I have compiled my own list.

Here are number six to ten. Come back next week for the top five.



6. Blarney Castle

The main reason for visiting this wonderful castle is to climb to the top and "Kiss the Blarney Stone" thereby gaining the Gift of the Gab.

In its own right the castle and gardens are my must see on any visit to the Emerald Isle.

Wear sensible shoes is my tip. The stairs to the Blarney Stone are small and narrow.

photo credit: Castle Side via photopin (license)



7. Dunmore Cave 

This is a fascinating day out. That has history, geology and together.

A guided tour takes you deep underground, where you will see natural beauty at it's best, as well as hearing about viking massacres

An interactive museum displays some finds from the caves.

Bring a warm waterproof jacket is my top tip. It might be hot outside but it's cold and wet underground.

                                                                                    photo credit: Dunmore  via DiscoverIreland.ie 


8. Rock Of Cashel

One of my favourite places to visit. 

It has everything a 12th-century round tower, high cross, Romanesque chapel, 13th-century Gothic cathedral, 15th-century castle and the Hall of the Vicars.

Take your time is my tip. There is so much to  see you don't want to miss any of it.







9 Newgrange

Newgrange is one of the most popular tourist sites in Ireland and is one of the most important megalithic structures in Europe. 

This structure predates the Pyramids.

My tip is to try and go on a dry day, most of the structure is outdoors.
     
                                                                        photo credit: Newgrange, Ireland via photopin (license)

10 Guiness Storehouse 

By the end of this visit round the Guiness Brewery at St. James Gate you will know everything about the black stuff.

A free pint in the Gravity bar with 360 view of the city awaits at the end.

Try to go near end of day when it will be dark so you see city by night is my  tip.
                                                                                    photo credit: DSCF0408 via photopin (license)

Do you agree or disagree? What do you think my Top 5 Landmarks are?

1 comment:

  1. I've been to 2/5, that's not so bad! What I didn't realise was that kissing the Blarney stone would be so scary! I went with Conor who had been there several times before. When we came down from the castle he said "I can't believe you actually kissed it!!" Turns out he who was egging me on had never done it himself!

    ReplyDelete