Thursday 5 November 2015

#Throwbackthursday 05/11/2015




November is national adoption month. My sister posted this photo and the following on her Facebook page.

November is National Adoption month. Those that know about my past know that adoption has had a huge impact on my life and I believe is the reason I was led to a career in social work. Everyone's adoption story is different and some turn out truly horrific but I was fortunate to be one of the lucky ones who was adopted by wonderful parents and immediately embraced by a large extended family. Of course five years in foster care didn't come without some emotional bruises but unconditional love and time really can aid in healing those bruises. If you are thinking about adoption here is something powerful one of my kids said that I think about daily and leaves me feeling so sickened that a child has had to think like this "no one is in my life because they want to be. My social worker, case-manager, therapist, teachers, foster parents, everyone is paid to be in my life". If you feel adoption is the direction you are being led think how impactful it will be to a child to be in their life as a choice not a paycheck. No one should ever feel they are only someone's paycheck. 

My grandmothers first flight to England to meet us as we couldn't leave the country yet.

I remember that Lego fire station well. I had forgotten that Granny had brought it as a present when she came to visit us.


4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful throwback, and such wise advice. My friends are considering adoption as we speak, I think it is a marvellous thing. Thanks for linking up to #throwbackthursday xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for hosting and commenting.

      Yes. Those who chose to raise another's child as their own, even with the extra trouble this brings are truly noble.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely picture and a very insightful story to go with it. Becky x #ThrowbackThursday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even realise that was the reason Granny made the trip to the UK.

      Thanks for commenting and posting.

      Delete