Saturday 28 March 2015

Why I Love Nap Time


Part of the reason I am quite happy doing the night feeds with #BabyPink, and my son when he was at that age, is the excuse for an afternoon nap.

Don't get  me wrong it's not a daily thing, which makes it even more special when they  do happen. Normally  it is after two or three nights, or when we've had a bad night the night before.

Today was one such day. Last night my lovely neighbour decided to ring the doorbell at 10.30. just at the precise moment #BabyPink had gone to sleep. That not being enough for  them, they rang it again ten minutes later. This set the tone for the night. 5 minute intervals of sleep interspersed with 20 minutes of walking, soothing, back rubbing you name it we tried it.

Eventually at about 2 am, she finally fell asleep, where she stayed until it was time for a bottle at about half past six.

Needless to say, the two of us were a bit tired today and around 1.30pm we were lying on the couch watching Home and Away with herself. #BabyPink fell asleep so I lay down so she would be more comfortable.

I must have drifted off as a while later when i felt her moving I opened my eyes to find Home and Away had finished and there was a blanket over us. I put my arm gently around her and went back to sleep.

I love these naps. The heat  from her little body, her tiny breaths in my ear. The safety of knowing nothing can happen as herself is there to check in regularly.

I think it strengthens the bond between us. She is growing fast and it is hard to believe she is nearly 7 weeks old already. Far too quickly she will be too big and too cool to do this with me. So for now when we get them I will enjoy them, and when they are gone I will look back fondly.

Dads I encourage you all, if you can grab a sneaky nap with  your son or daughter do it. If you don't manage a nap, when they fall asleep on your shoulder, instead of putting them in the Moses basket or cot, lie down with them on your chest. Even if it's only for a few minutes. You won't regret it.
The Dad Network

8 comments:

  1. Oh I miss those naps! So cozy! Now my wiggly worm will barely settle for a cuddle, let alone a snuggle lap. Savour them!

    Mama, My Kid Doesn't Poop Rainbows

    #bigfatlinky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember having a few naps on the sofa when my little boy was younger, it was so lovely! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I do miss these types of naps - Aidan is getting to independent to sit still for more than 30 seconds haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh they won't last long. Herself took the nap today, so didn't get cuddle time :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds lovely. Ted fights sleep like you wouldn't believe so we have had very few moments like that. Thanks for sharing and for linking up #bigfatlinky

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved nap times for either having a cuddle and a nap with them or for doing work and having some me time. Either way I miss them very much now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh so lovely. Love cuddle sleeps they are the best and totally well-deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Teddy never sleeps on us but this week he has been poorly and we have got him to sleep in our arms - I've loved every second of it :) Jen - Mrs Dad Network

    ReplyDelete