Wednesday 18 November 2015

What have we done to the world that God created?



With recent events in Paris and other cities around the world I've found myself singing this song over and over.



I always liked Queen. Ever since I saw the video for A Kind of Magic on Top of the Pops as a child.

This performance was at Live Aid in 1985 and although the words were poignant then, for a very different reason the message is just the same today.

I have to admit growing up I wasn't too concerned about world events. Even once I moved out of home and stood on my own two feet I wasn't too concerned about global warming etc.

Since becoming a father though this has all changed. Better late than never - so they say.

I'm not religious at all. I refused to make my confirmation, telling my mother it would be hypocritical to do so as I didn't believe in God.

I still don't!

I do believe in fairness, human decency and the hope of a future for our children.

I feel that this world is vastly different to the one I grew up in, and not for the better.

Although I grew up in the cold war of the 80's. The IRA bombings and the Falklands conflict. I never felt unsafe. Wasn't worried for other members of my family's safety.

Yet now we have terrorism on a global scale. Natural disasters far worse than anything I saw and armed conflicts in all corners of the globe.

In Freddie's words. What have we done to the world?


No comments:

Post a Comment